Friday, December 9, 2011

Book Review of One friend to another by Elizabeth Feuer

Name of Book: One Friend to Another

Author: Elizabeth Feuer

ISBN: 0-671-66700-9

Publisher: Archway Paperback

Type of book: Growing up, friendship, envy, middle school, 1980s

Year it was published: 1987


I wasn't going to be the "Amazing Brain" anymore

Not this year. Not when I had the chance to make a fresh start at a brand new school. I'd had enough of being the smartest kid in the class. This year was going to be different. I was going to be popular!

Now, some things are easier said than done. But when I got to be friends with Rhonda Winkler- the prettiest, most popular girl in school-I thought I had it made. I even met this guy, Andrew, and fell madly in love. There was just one problem: Rhonda's sidekick, Randy. She didn't like me much, and she sure didn't want me getting too close to Rhonda. I didn't realize just how hard she'd try to destroy our friendship, however, until it was too late. And that's when I learned what true friendship is all about.


The characters seemed to be a bit two dimensional and all this book we were stuck with Nicki. Although Nicki is an interesting character, I think that in this point, it would have been interesting to know things from Rhonda's point of view. I mean, why she saw Nicki the way she did when she was practically envy of the whole school.


You don't know which people envy you or want to be you.


First person point of view from Nicki's side of the story. As I mentioned, I had a difficult time understanding why someone who seems to have everything would be jealous of someone who is not popular and is shunned as a pariah. Very often, the rich do not envy or want to be the poor. Interesting plot but I do wish that Rhonda would be the one telling the story and not Nicki.

Author Information:

Elizabeth Feuer studied medicine at Yale University and specialized in pediatrics and public health. She attended the State University of New York at Stony Brooke, from which she received a B.S. in biology. Dr. Feuer has always loved to write. She has written short stories for adults. She has two children, Benjamin and Eathan. One Friend to another is her first novel.


To me personally the ending was confusing because it wasn't well explained how a character accomplished such feats. But overall it was an enjoyable book and very unique growing up and coming of age story. It can also cause you to think differently, although I have a hard time believing that high status people often envy low status people.

4 out of 5
(0: Stay away unless a masochist 1: Good for insomnia 2: Horrible but readable; 3: Readable and quickly forgettable, 4: Good, enjoyable 5: Buy it, keep it and never let it go.)

No comments:

Post a Comment